So I forgot to do any readathons in February! And I am charged up for some challenges in March – first with the Trope-ical readathon which has prompts and points so I’ll be motivated, and then the Buzzword readathon which will help me knock off some books from my backlist.
Trope-ical Readathon (month-long)
Round 4 of Trope-ical Readathon (Round 2 of our month-long version) will begin March 1, 2021 in your own timezone! This readathon will be a team-based readathon throughout the entire month of March. There are five teams to choose from:
- Team Romance
- Team Science Fiction/Fantasy
- Team Mystery/Horror/Thriller
- Team Contemporary/Literary/Historical Fiction
- Team Non-Fiction/Poetry
How you choose your team is up to you. Most people choose the genre they like reading the most. There are 13 common challenges that everyone can do and 2 team-specific challenges, making a total of 15 possible challenges to complete. Each challenge is based on a common trope found in books. Additionally, each team has a “Team Book” in their genre that they (and anyone else) can read for extra points!
The point breakdown is as follows:
- Common Challenges: 50 POINTS EACH
- Team Challenges: 100 POINTS EACH
- Team Books: 150 POINTS EACH
- Pages Read: 1 POINT PER PAGE
I’m joining in Team Non-fiction/Poetry.
- Absent/Dead Parent(s) Trope: Read a book where the MC’s parents are either absent throughout the book or have passed away prior to the start of the book. Alternatively, read a book that has more than one “parent” (i.e. multiple authors). Sisters of the Snake
- War Setting Trope: Read a book centered around the theme of war. This works for real wars (like WWII) or for other types of wars (like ones you find in fantasy). Alternatively, read a book that you can use as a weapon. I.e. a book that is over 500 pages. Memory of Babel
- Small Town Trope: Read a book that takes place in a small town. Alternatively, read a book with a small (i.e. one-word) title. Pumpkin
- Coming-of-Age Trope: Read a book where the protagonist goes through a process of self-discovery. Alternatively, (re)read a book that shaped who you are as a person/reader.
- Dystopia Trope: Read a book that takes place in a dystopia. Alternatively, read a book that someone else has chosen for you. Unwind
- Blast from the Past Trope: Read a book where the MC encounters someone from their past. Alternatively, read a book written before the year 2000.
- Mixed Media Trope: Read a book that includes letters, texts, emails, etc. Alternatively, listen to an audiobook. African Europeans
- Artificial Intelligence Trope: Read a book that features an AI. Alternatively, read an ebook. Phoenix Flame
- Boarding School Trope: Read a book that takes place in a boarding school. Alternatively, read a buddy-read with your friend(s).
- Enemies to Lovers/Enemies to Friends Trope: Read a book that involves enemies learning to love/like each other. This includes hate-to-love/like as well. Alternatively, read a book that you previously DNFed. Jane, Unlimited
- Multiple POVs Trope: Read a book told through multiple points-of-view. Alternatively, read a book with multiple characters of color.
- The New Kid in Town Trope: Read a book where the MC(s) have just moved to a new place. Alternatively, read a genre you don’t usually read.
- Retelling Trope: Read a book that is a retelling. Alternatively, read a book that has been adapted to a TV show and/or film.
Team Challenge 1: Read a book with the “Celebrity Romance” trope
Team Challenge 2: Read a book with the “Paranormal Romance” trope
New Team Book: Accidentally Engaged by Farah Heron
Old Team Book: Love from A to Z by S.K. Ali
Team Challenge 1: Read a book with the “Secret World” trope
Team Challenge 2: Read a book with the “First Contact” trope
New Team Book: This Golden Flame by Emily Victoria
Old Team Book: Rosewater by Tade Thompson
Team Contemporary/Literary/Historical Fiction
Team Challenge 1: Read a book with “Bookish” themes
Team Challenge 2: Read a book featuring a historical figure
New Team Book: Fat Chance, Charlie Vega by Crystal Maldonado
Old Team Book: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Team Challenge 1: Read a book with the “Haunted House” trope
Team Challenge 2: Read a book with the “Whodunit” trope
New Team Book: The Obsession by Jesse Q. Sutanto
Old Team Book: Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones
Team Non-Fiction Poetry
Team Challenge 1: Read a book on anti-racism Citizen
Team Challenge2: Read a travel memoir
New Team Book: Muted by Tami Charles
Old Team Book: Americanized: Rebel Without a Green Card by Sara Saedi
Buzzword Readathon (March 1-7)
The Buzzword Readathon (#buzzwordathon) is a monthly readathon, running the first week of each month (1st through 7th). Each month will have a designated word/word theme and you have a week to read as many books as you like with that word in the title.
March buzzword – “Time”
The Last Time We Say Goodbye || The Time Traveler’s Guide to Modern Romance || The Last Time I Lied || This Time Will be Different
Which readathons do you plan to take part in this month?