I was hopped up on manga and graphic novels during May, which kinda saved me from lagging behind. I’ve been kinda stuck between painting, reading and everything else this month like
This month, I left behind the slump and read 15 full-length books, 1 novella length book and 17 graphic novel/manga for a total of 33 books! Still kinda riding April’s high, I guess? What did I think of the books I read this month? Well you can find out below:
Try it out maybe?
And now, onto the yearly challenges:
Progress: 43/100 books
It was mostly me finally catching up on the Tokyo Ghoul: re series.
Progress: 21/21+ books (Grand Slam)
Progress: 21/26 books
I V X Y Z
Nothing this month!
Progress: 16/35 books
Half of these have the word missing in the title lol. The Missing of Claidelune is a missing persons mystery in a fantasy setting, Girl Gone Missing is also a missing persons mystery set in 60s (Native American protag, OwnVoices). Missing, Presumed Dead is an urban fantasy. Wilder Girls is a horror/thriller SciFi novel, and Beastars is a murder mystery in a world inhabited by anthromorphic animals.
Progress: 70/200 books
Progress: 99/100 galleys
26 galleys this month! And I was so clooooose to reaching the goal!
2019 Debut author challenge
Progress: 9/24 debuts
Both the debut books I read this month are sapphic retellings! Orpheus Girl is a retelling of Greek myths in a modern setting, and Wilder Girls is a retelling of Lord of the Flies in a modern SciFi setting.
Progress: 11/50 audiobooks
Nothing this month!
Progress: 4/12 keywords
Progress: 7/16 books
Beastars is set in a world similar to ours, only with anthromorphic animals (think Zootopia but hardcore), Not Your Villain and Not Your Backup are set in post-apocalyptic Earth with trans and a-spec protagonists, respectively.
Progress: 18/25 books (Ancient History)
Demon Slayer is set in Taisho era Japan (early 20th century), while Realm is set in ~300 BC (during Alexander the Great’s time) and Girl Gone Missing is set in 1960s America.
Progress: 8/25 retellings (Fairest of them All)
Progress: 6/20 books
Progress: 8/24 series (2/12 new + 6/12 old)
– Firebird trilogy (old)
– The Young Elites trilogy (old)
Year of the Asian Reading Challenge
Progress: 14/51 books
Besides these year-long challenges, I also had three reading challenges.
I had planned to read 5 books off my physical shelves, but ended up reading only 2. *sad puppy dog face*
I completed all 5 challenges (the last one I had already done) with these two books, featuring Chinese (author) and Japanese (setting, original language, author, characters) identities, respectively.
My initial goal was to read 7 books but I went crazy with the manga LOL, and ended up reading 16 books in total.
Diversity Spotlight Thursday #47: PoC rep
Diversity Spotlight Thursday #48: Non-western civilizations
Diversity Spotlight Thursday #49: PoC rep
Diversity Spotlight Thursday #50: Sapphic rep
Diversity Spotlight Thursday #51: Ownvoices gay rep
- I took part in DeviantArt’s HTTYD fanart contest!
- I’ve also participated in a WolfStar Big Bang, for which one entry was released this month! You can read the accompanying fic (written by parttimehuman) at AO3
- As always – please help support my blog and my art with contributions through Ko-Fi (every small donation helps!), and by buying my designs on Society6 or TeePublic. You could also help out for free, too – by using my affiliate links (see sidebar) when you are about to purcahse a book, or by using my Scribd share code to get a free 60-day trial of the service (come on guys, free books for 2 months is a no-brainer!)
- I have set up a Patreon, too, but have yet to design the tiers, so I will have more news on that soon.
How was your May?